Monday, October 1, 2012

Silence Was a Weapon




Been reading a book by that title written by Stuart A. Herrington.  The copyright date is 1982 so I guess that's about when it was written.  Some blogger that I read on a pretty regular basis mentioned reading it for the first time in several years and he said enough about it to get me to look for it at Amazon.  I've forgotten which blogger it was and I feel like crap right now so forgive me for not giving credit where credit is due.

Its written by a US Army Captain who was an intelligence adviser to the ARVN from not too long after the Tet Offensive until he became a member of the US Mission in Saigon right up until the evacuation in 1975.  

One of the small things that jumped out at me  was the answers he got when interviewing captured Vietcong soldiers.  More than one of them said that they were lured to fight for the communists by the promise of Social Justice.

The book is thirty years old.  What its written about is between thirty-five and forty years old.  The author isn't using modern terminology to describe what they told him.  He's telling us what they said.  They were fighting for Social Justice.  Where haven't I heard that term lately?

There's quite a bit more and the book is interesting but, as I said, I feel like crap so I'm not even going to try write any more today.

1 comment:

Brock Townsend said...

I knew the man when I worked at DAO from '73 - '74.