Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Book of Barkley - A Comment

I offered this as a comment on Brigid's blog and then decided to put it here, slightly edited, as a post as well.  This isn't exactly a review of the book. 

The Book of Barkley came out Thursday night and I ordered a copy on Friday Morning.  It was slow at work and my belly was whispering "remember the diverticulitis?" so I downloaded the e-book and went home.  I finished it last evening.

Last night I dreamed of the time our Labs, OJ and Nicole, discovered their first skunk and came running back in the house dripping skunk juice.   Then I dreamed of hanging out with old friends.  When I woke up this morning, I thought back to a few weeks ago when I was so concerned about my self-destructive friend.  The preacher prayed that God would put people in her life that would help her.  The thought that I had this morning was that I bet one of those people will be a big, Black Lab.

I believe it was Jerry Clower who said "You've never been loved 'till you've been loved by a dog."  I never thought I'd ever be able to do justice to the impact the love of that one  special dog can have on a person's life. 

I think Brigid has done that. 


If you are a dog person, you will understand.  If you are a cat person, prepare to be converted.

I think I will go invest in a kennel that raises Labs.  Their price should start going up any day now.



3 comments:

Home on the Range said...

Thank you for taking the time to share. That big black lab brought me out of some dark places as well on occasion, a journey I would not have missed despite a too-early ending

Bless you.

Lantry said...

I gotta stop doing that. People are gonna think I'm mean! :-)

Lantry said...

Meant to put that comment as a reply to your comment on the other post about the Book. It should make more sense there. Still too early in the morning for me.