Monday, January 27, 2014

Cole Younger and Kindle Free

I got the Kindle for PC download so I could take advantage of the free Bracken books a while back.   A week or so ago, I got to wondering what else might be available for free.   I downloaded twenty-two free "books."

I got old books on hunting and life in the far North.  A book on trapping foxes.  One of Ghost stories.  I got books about Davie Crocket and Frederick Selous.  One called The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government by Jefferson Davis and more Slave narratives than I can recall. 

So far, the only one I've started reading is  one called The Story of Cole Younger. 








This particular book was written by Cole Younger.   He ought to know.

I'm not really up to speed on his history but his version is a good bit different from what little I've read elsewhere.   I never knew that he had spent time in Lake City Florida buying cattle and that he stopped an armed mob of black men from killing his black barber.  They didn't like the barber's politics.  The book is full of little stories like that.

I like reading old books.  I reckon I got more than I paid for.

Besides, I had to post something so I wouldn't be  hypnotized by that GIF that I posted earlier today the next time I check in. 

3 comments:

Brock Townsend said...

It's amazing all the free goodies. A lot on WWII Germans.

Brock Townsend said...

Forgot. If you search for Kindle on FNC, you might come up with some free ones that you don't have.

Lantry said...

Thanks , Brock. I'll give that a shot.