Monday, September 3, 2012

The Stupid Thing That I Did

Was violate one of the cardinal safety rules of reloading. 

When I got done throwing and weighing itty bitty little charges of Bullseye and poured it back into the can, I poured it into a can of Reloader Seven by mistake.  That's right.  I had two cans of powder on the bench at the same time.    Evidently I can't even count higher than one.  The rule is that you never have more than one can on the bench at a time.  The rule isn't "no more than one open can."  Its "no more than one Effing can" of powder at the same time and I had two.   They were even two of the same kind of can because both are Alliant powders.   I realized it before I was done pouring the powder in but it was too late.  There was no way to separate them.  I had a can that had about half a pound of powder in it and it was two different powders.


I don't even want to think about what would have happened if I hadn't caught the mistake and had used that powder thinking it was Reloader Seven.  My face ain't exactly purty but I've grown attached to it.  Same for my hands, eyes and everything else I would have lost if I had pulled the trigger on a rifle case full of Bullseye.

As it is, I lost all the Reloader Seven that was in the can and all the Bullseye that I poured into it.   To make sure I didn't risk using it by mistake I burnt it in a small pile on the back patio.  I do have a video but I can't get it to upload and work on the blog just yet.  Maybe tomorrow I will fool with it some more.

I have disposed of unknown powders this way in the past but I guess they were slower powders because this pile really took off on me.  Probably should have used a powder trail as a fuse.  At least the dog got a kick out of it.  If I get the video to work you'll see what I mean.





2 comments:

GunRights4US said...

I'm real glad you caught your mistake. That could have been disasterous.

Lantry said...

Thanks. I am still in shock that I did it.