Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Glasses



The annual email from the eye doctor came yesterday.  Time to tweak the prescription again.

I had been wearing Communist ,  I mean, Progressive, lenses for years but found that I had to keep bobbing my head to see clearly at different distances while out in the woods.  I switched to good old fashioned bifocals last year.  Distance vision is better and so is up close.   The only problem is that the front sights on my handguns absolutely disappear unless I stick a diopter on them.




That's OK on the range but not in the woods.  Totally unrealistic in a self defense situation. 

Trying to decide whether to try tri-focals, if they even still make them, or just go with  a pair of glasses for reading and one for distance.   I tried Communist,  I mean, Progressive contacts and couldn't see worth a darn at any distance. 

Insurance will buy me new frames every other year but I just have them put new lenses in my old frames.

I do look forward to looking at all the nice new glasses though...




They're a little big but that's the style these days.   

The lenses are big too so that helps balance it all out.

And a plastic straw. I think I'm in love.

4 comments:

pigpen51 said...

I wore contacts for years. I have since gone back to bi focals, with the lower lens set low so I can see over it better. But when I wore contacts, I wore a lens for distance in my right eye, and a lens for reading in my left eye. You might think it would not work well, but it actually works great. At distance, the left eye is not blind, but it can help with your vision. And at reading distances, your brain adjusts perfectly to it.
If I were to consider Lasik surgery, I would seriously consider that same combination for the surgery. It really works that well.

Lantry said...

Now that you mention it, I have heard of people doing that with good results. I'll have to talk to my eye guy about it. Thanks!

Brian said...

I wear tri-focals, and I do have to tilt my head, so I'm using the middle to clearly see the front sight on pistols. Had to go to scopes and red dots on the AR's since I know longer could focus on the front sight post.

Lantry said...

I've put a few lasers on some of my handguns but I wind up not being able to find holsters for them unless I shell out big bucks for laser grips.