Sunday, January 26, 2014

A Little Makeup for the Old Girl


“From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away.” 

 

 Philip Marlowe

 

 

A year or so ago, back when I painted Ruth, the Jeep, I ran into some trouble in the form of about two pounds of plastic filler stuffed into a nasty gash in the right rear fender.  The weather was about to change and would have been too humid to paint if I took the time to fix it so I just painted everything else. 

 

Then the regular car's alternator grounded its field and that confused the transmission (friggin' computers) so ol' Ruth had to step up and be the number one car for a while despite the ugly, half-assed primer painted fender. 

 

 I have worked on the fender a few times since. It gets closer to right every time but number one car is acting up again so Ruth gets to step up and be the reliable one again.  She ain't named for Festus' mule for nothing. 



Being tired of driving around looking like a high school kid that can't save up enough money for a paint job, I went ahead and painted the fender  today, despite the not yet finished body work.  

 

The area in question ran from the door, around the back corner to the tailgate.  Not a large area to cover so I didn't crank up the compressor and get out the spray gun.  I just used a Prevail sprayer.  

 


 



Not much to them.  A glass jar with an aerosol spray unit on top.  You mix your paint, pour it in the jar, screw the aerosol unit on top and you have a "spray can" of whatever paint you want.  I probably used four  whole ounces of paint.

 

It doesn't look great up close but from 30 feet away...


She's still got it.


 






1 comment:

Phil said...

I had never heard of one of those paint sprayers.
Pretty clever!