Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Good Deeds, Punishmment, etc

A couple of years ago, one of my brothers in law was lamenting the cost of 7mm Remington Magnum ammunition.  He was shooting 150 grain Ballistic Silvertips in factory ammo and it was over sixty bucks a box at Gooseburg.  It shot very well so he wanted to stick with it but the thought of having to buy more just plain hurt.

I told him that I could get those bullets and load them in his cases but we'd probably have to tweak the load a few times before we got it to shoot as well as what he was using.

He brought me his empty brass and one of his unfired cartridges.  I measured the unfired one with my hexagon bullet comparator thingy and loaded up twenty rounds with H-1000.  Its always been good to me in the 7mm Rem. Mag. so it seemed like a good place to start.   I didn't hear from him again until one week ago.  That's two years later.

Last week, out of nowhere, he called me raving about that ammo.  He hadn't used it until a week before when he and a buddy decided to have a shooting contest.  They were shooting on his buddy's farm at a measured 600 yards.  He ran out of factory ammo and started using the stuff I had loaded for him.  He tells me that he shot a 6 shot group at 600 yards and all the holes were touching.

Uh-huh.  Sure he did.  A single monkey just sat down at a single typewriter and produced a perfect copy of War and Peace by randomly hitting the keys on his very first try too.

Where are my waders?

I kept listening while he raved about the ammo, my reloading skills and what great friends we are.  Pretty soon, the smoke cleared and the call started to make sense.

It seems that his friend was so impressed with the ammo (evidently it did shoot a good group.  I just don't believe it was 6 touching at 600 yards) that he wants me to load some for his 300 Win. Mag.   That friend  told another friend and that other friend wants me to load for him too.  By coincidence, brother in law just happened to have their brass ready for me to load.

Who could have seen that coming?

I reminded brother in law that I had to measure his factory ammo before I loaded anything.

"Do you have any of their live ammo for me to measure?"  

"Well, no, actually.  They shot all their ammo up. "

"Aw shucks.  Not much I can do without knowing where to start."  

"OK.  Happy Thanksgiving.  Bye."

As predictable as sunrise in the East.


No comments: