Wednesday, July 4, 2012

July 4




July 4, "Independence Day."  Also the day Vicksburg fell.  Independence? Subjugation?  Depends on which side of history you choose.





In honor of whichever you want to call it, I did some gainful work, jury-rigged the ignition switch on the tractor and sorted some rimfire ammo for rim thickness.  I'd never have thought that 22LR rims would vary in thickness by as much as '002" in the same brand, same lot and same box but the Pratt and Whitney dial indicator cannot tell a lie.


 What's funny is that I bought a Raven Eye Rimfire Rim Thickness Gauge last week.  When I went to install the dial indicator on it, there was a brand new Raven Eye Rimfire Thickness Gauge already in the box with the dial indicator.  The old Pratt and Whitney needed a bushing to fit the gauge and all I can figure is that I must have bought the first Raven Eye gauge some time ago and put it in the box when I saw that it didn't fit the indicator that I had.  Its my only dial indicator that reads to .0001" so I wanted to use it and I must have just forgotten to go get a bushing.  Eventually, that must have led to forgetting the whole thing only to remember the idea but not the tool in the box a couple of years later.  Didn't think I had gotten that old yet.

No comments: